The BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) is a non-profit, member-driven cooperative providing several high-availability services to members across Canada. The Co-op uses primarily open source tools and contemporary development methodologies and hosting practices.
The Co-op is hiring a full-time (35 hours/week) Software Developer to work as a member of our support team. This is a partial telecommute opportunity; residency in Greater Vancouver area, British Columbia is required for start date.
As Software Developer, the successful applicant will provide support to the Co-op’s web services and the Evergreen™ open ILS and related software, hardware and network solutions for Co-op members. Specific duties include: maintaining and enhancing web services, Evergreen and associated systems; developing and deploying solutions to support member staff and end-users; documentation, troubleshooting and bug fixes; and working collaboratively with other developers in the Co-op and wider open source communities.
The ideal candidate brings the strongest possible combination of knowledge and experience with the following core skills:
- Strong proficiency with server-side scripting languages (Perl and PHP chiefly)
- WordPress and/or Drupal
- Evergreen integrated library system experience
- Version control; we use Git
- Regression and unit testing (Selenium but open to other frameworks)
- Some front-end experience; CSS, LESS/SaSS and template markup
Experience with the following will be considered an asset:
- GNU/Linux server environments
- Relational database management (e.g., PostgreSQL, MariaDB)
- Open source software development
- Public or Post-secondary libraries
Competencies and Qualifications:
- On the job experience or education/coursework in Computing Science or a related field
- 3-5 years of increasingly responsible related experience is required;
- Working knowledge of software development methodologies;
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely;
- Ability to manage stress;
- A sense of humour;
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively with individuals and groups in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location).
What we offer:
- Flexibility. While the Co-op is headquartered in downtown Vancouver, this is primarily a virtual office opportunity for the right candidate. Most of the Co-op staff work remotely, using the Vancouver office for regular or occasional face-to-face meet-ups.
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic team in a growing community enterprise.
- This position is a full-time, limited term employment position with the option for renewal and/or permanent employee status (budget dependent).
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to: email@example.com no later than 1600 Pacific Time, Wednesday, March 8, 2017.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The BC Libraries Cooperative hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.