If you don’t use the acquisitions module or batch load enhanced on order records, you need to manually create placeholder items in order for patrons to place holds.
- Use fake barcodes which include your library code, and have somewhere to record where you are in the sequence. i.e. MPL1000, MPL1001, MPL1002
- Use ON ORDER as your call number.
- Use Evergreen’s On order status for the item record.
- Have an On Order holdings template for cataloguers to use.
- Create and use an ON ORDER shelving location, especially if your library uses a new book shelving location.
When the item comes in you will need to update the item record.
For further information see the Sitka Cataloguing Policy – http://docs.libraries.coop/policy/_cataloguing_procedures.html#_working_with_on_order_item_records