Join our Team!
The BC Libraries Cooperative is a Canadian, non-profit community enterprise. We are strategically focused on the delivery of shared operational infrastructure and resources for our diverse members – over 100 institutions across Canada. Simply put, we strive to improve efficiency, reduce costs and extend service delivery in libraries.
We are seeking a Systems Manager!
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Systems Manager will provide strategic leadership for Cooperative infrastructure, policies, processes and practices that shape the delivery of technology services to Cooperative members across Canada.
We make significant use of open tools, shared infrastructure and community capacity to create and advance viable, robust, cost effective and sustainable solutions. We are diversifying!
The Systems Manager will work closely with Cooperative staff and contractors, as well as with emerging service partners, potential members and stakeholders. As a member of the Cooperative’s Management Team, the Systems Manager will help identify, recommend, develop, plan, cost, implement and support, cost-effective and innovative service delivery programs that advance the capacity of Cooperative members.
A competitive compensation package including salary, vacation, extended health benefits and pension plan is available, commensurate with experience.
In consultation with the Executive Director and Management Team:
- Work effectively with Cooperative staff and contractors, as well as with emerging service partners, potential members and stakeholders.
- As a member of the Cooperative’s Management Team, provide corporate support to the Executive Director’s office and the Board of Directors, as required.
- Coordinate operational planning for select projects; organize and negotiate resource allocation and service contracts.
- Ensure the efficient planning and utilization of technology resources across the organization.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and manage functional and continuity policies and procedures that assist the Cooperative, its member organizations and end users.
- Strategically coordinate “back office” systems to maximize efficiency and effectiveness in a distributed work environment.
- Work with members and service partners to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations and participate in RFI/RFP responses where appropriate.
- Serve as the Cooperative’s privacy officer.
- Supervision of assigned staff or contractors.
- Oversee procurement and asset management for IT hardware, software, and equipment.
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending, initiatives and growth plans.
- Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications about operations.
- Conduct research and remain current with the latest ITSM practices, technologies and solutions
- Other related duties as assigned
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, distributed, multi-tasking environment, and to contend with varying degrees of ambiguity with panache.
- University degree in the field of computer science or information services; or, 7+ years professional commensurate experience.
- Enterprise IT experience in a library or library service organization environment may be considered an asset.
- Demonstrable experience in IT operations planning, management and development, with demonstrable experience managing the deployment of enterprise open source solutions.
- Extensive experience leading in a team-oriented, collaborative and distributed environment.
- Certification and/or significant experience leading project management and agile software development processes and teams.
- Demonstrated contributions and leadership to open source software communities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Strong technical knowledge.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Experience with financial systems and processes.
- Demonstrated political acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to conduct and direct research into technology issues, as required.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
Please send a cover letter outlining your experience and how it directly relates to the position requirements, as well as your resume (both in pdf format) to: office[at]bc.libraries.coop
- Deadline: Friday, June 21, 2013 at 5:00 pm PDT
- We thank all applicants for their interest but only those being considered for the position will be contacted.